[Artemisia] A Garden for Reflection and amusement

LadyPDC at aol.com LadyPDC at aol.com
Tue Jan 29 14:39:30 CST 2008

In a message dated 1/29/08 11:19:41 AM, conradvz at yahoo.com writes:

>   Could I have a list of the more easily grown of these plants?  I have a
> garden space and I'd like to grow something hardy and not unpleasant (see 'not
> weeds' in my mind).
>
>   CvZ

Thyme is a very good one - the cooking kind not the decorative kind - it will
grow to a certain size and then stay there.   You can clip it to provide
flavoring for food and it will grow to fill in and then stop.   Takes very little
water and no real care.   I use it as the filler between the sidewalk and the
street because I got tired of mowing and watering that area.   Also when you
walk on it, it smells great.   And it isn't harmful to anyone or anything that
I know of.

Most mints will grow without care and almost anywhere.   However, they will
also grow out of control so you want to watch where and how you plant them.

Parsley is also a good grower that requires little to no care.   It is a two
year plant so it will die and go to seed at the end of two years but the seeds
will almost germinate on a rock so it will keep going without you having to
do anything.

Yarrow is another good one though you do need to trim it every now and then
as it can grow rather high.   I have seen lovely yarrow hedges though, used to
provide low dividers in gardens with lovely little flowers.

As far as I can find out, none of the above are harmful to livestock or other
animals and only the mint families will grow beyond where you plant them.
And if you plant parsley around your mint, it will keep the mint under control.

Those are just a few off the top of my head.

Constance de la Rose, OL
(gardener longing for spring)