[Artemisia] A Garden for Reflection and amusement

Sondra Gibson sgibson at edulog.com
Tue Jan 29 16:24:06 CST 2008

Constance de la Rose wrote: (snippage)
"Thyme is a very good one - the cooking kind not the decorative kind - it
will
grow to a certain size and then stay there.

Most mints will grow without care and almost anywhere.   However, they will
also grow out of control so you want to watch where and how you plant them.

Yarrow is another good one though you do need to trim it every now and then
as it can grow rather high.   I have seen lovely yarrow hedges though, used
provide low dividers in gardens with lovely little flowers."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'd agree 100% with the thyme.  Lavender is also quite hardy and trouble
free. Mine tends to thrive on neglect.

Hyssop has a great scent, the bees love it, and it's very hardy (will spread
by seed to other spots, but is easy to pull or transplant)

Oregano will take over, if given a chance, but it's hardy and smells nice.

Mints are hardy but like lots of water and even the non-catnip types are
attractive to cats.  (the feral cats won - the mint finally died after being
used as a favorite sleeping spot for too long!!)

Yarrow grows wild (at least in western MT) and will spread, but I like it,
so I usually let it do it's own thing.  I think the wild variety is prettier
than the cultivated one!  (more compact, not so tall and leggy)

Tansy is a noxious weed in some places and not something I'd plant, though I
harvest it often from irrigation banks for dying.

Foxglove is beautiful but toxic. (I told that to the deer that *ate* all of
mine, but it ignored me)

Anyone who wants a nice low maintenance shrub/bush in cold dry climates
might try buffalo berry.  I have really come to like it.  It's attractive,
grows fairly fast, is hardy, and produces berries that the birds love. It
also has 1" spines...

Can you tell I'm ready for spring too?
Gefjon