[Artemisia] Funding improvements at The Farm

Mike Bradley connor.mac.michil at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 22:40:46 CST 2008

Two things.

First, as someone whose current situation helped to spark this discussion, I
must say that I love this idea.  Every post I read I can visualize this
beautiful tribute and memorial to those we have lost and those that came
before us and I haven't even been to the new Uprising site yet.  Your Grace
Alan, when the time comes, know that you can count on whatever assistance I
am able to render at that time to see this done.

On Jan 29, 2008 9:01 PM, Aghren the Brus <aghren at msn.com> wrote:

> That would be really great (if there were no children allowed - hey, maybe
> they could be included in the no pets rule! ok, just kidding!)
>
> Somehow the wonderful peaceful contemplative nature of a labyrinth seem to
> fade with the thopught of children finding it - and find it they will.

Secondly, I know that you were trying to couch what seems to be your less
than positive opinion of children in a humorous manner.  Your attempt failed
miserably.  On the one hand, in the 15 years that I have been in the SCA in
general, and Artemisia in particular, the children at events are the
kindest, noblest, most courteous kids you will find.  Yes, they are still
children, but compared to the general public, they are wonderful to deal
with; and told not to disturb a quiet, contemplative place, will leave it
alone.  And on the second hand, some of those children you worry about -
like Ben, the son of Don Sionnian and his lovely late Lady Katerina, Alex,
the daughter of Master James Newton de Stile and his wonderful Lady Rosalind
the Tender, or Gillian, the daughter of myself and my dear Lady Catalina -
are more directly affected by the passing of those we have lost than many
others;  they have as much right, and maybe even more of a need, to any
memorial that is built.

Don Conchobhar mac Michil
who has been around long enough to watch many children grow from babes in
arms to fine young gentlemen and women, in no small part to the things that
they learned in the Society ... the children that play as kids in the SCA
will grow up to be the well-behaved, caring adults in the real world, and
the next generation that keeps the Dream alive