[Artemisia] Ruffs and Movie Nights

Dawn Tavares dtavares1 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 30 10:26:02 CST 2008

Oops, this was buried in all the gardening excitement:

Anton von Heidleberg mentioned:
> ...discussing how the Tudors and Elizabethans must have made> those collars and ruffs. We found some examples of the wire frames> under these ruffs and I think its something I can recreate. So any of> you Tudor Dollies or Elizabethans that want help with a ruff should> contact me.
Let's get together and talk about this after Estrella. (Everything in my life is on hold until after Estrella.) My wardrobe is nowhere near dolly status, but I've been intrigued by those ruffs and whisks as well. Helping someone else construct one would be very helpful to me -- and it sounds like a great project for a few cold winter evenings.

>Heck back in the days of old Drachenwald, we huddled under quilts and>watched many a movie ..., have snacks and work>on our garb, armor, and such.  There was some great bonding and more>then a few schemes were hatched at these get togethers.

I recall hearing that several years ago one of the locals would host a regular Saturday's Knight at the Movies. Big screen TV in a comfy living room, folk would bring popcorn and soda, videos of the old Errol Flynn swashbucklers as well as Danny Kaye in The Court Jester and the Camelot musical. Lots of in-jokes and comments on bad Hollywood garb. :)  It would be fun to start something like that again.

Aurora de Portugal
fellow Loch Salannite