[Artemisia] Garden ideas - really long

Aletheia Isidora of Philae tarimaat at bresnan.net
Thu Jan 31 20:44:34 CST 2008

S CLEMENGER wrote:
> [...]

Greetings!
Now that I've finally caught up with my email, here's the list of what I
have growing in my gardens here in Bronzehelm (Billings MT - zone 3/4/5
depending whose map you look at) that are documentably medieval (cites
provided upon request). These are all easy to grow & require very little
care, for the most part. First the artemisias, then perennials, then
annuals.

Artemisias: unless otherwise specified, these are fire&forget perennials
- once planted, the only thing I do to them is cut them back (to the
ground, usually) in the spring, again whenever I think they're getting
too hairy, or I want to make something out of them. Most of the
artemisias are strongly scented, bug repellent, deer hate them - great
strewing herbs. Most of them are also very drought-tolerant for xeriscaping.

Artemisia dracunculus - tarragon: needs mulch the first couple years
until well established. Mine is 7 years old now & not at all invasive.
this is the French cooking herb. (By the way, dracunculus means "little
dragon" for you House Tarragon fans/adherents/whatnot).

Artemisia vulgaris - mugwort: very tough. Not the prettiest plant, but
interesting & used a lot in period. Not invasive, but mine is more
shaded than it ought to be for best results, so ymmv.

Artemisia absinthium - wormwood: cut the blossoms before they set seed &
you don't have a problem; otherwise seeds all over the place. I tend to
cut mine back midsummer anyway, to keep it nice & compact. Great
strewing herb. May be considered noxious weed in some areas, check with
your county extension agent. Only poisonous in VERY large quantity.

Artemisia abrotanum - southernwood: beautiful feathery foliage & lovely
scent; few seeds if any, not invasive - my favorite artemisia, really.
Great for strewing herb blends.

Artemisia annua - Sweet Annie: this is an annual; very nice scent;
somewhat self-seeding - I have to replant from store-bought seed every
couple-three years.

Modern &/or North American artemsias available from catalogs & garden
stores that I really intend to plant one of these days, or have had in
the past:
Artemisia frigida - fringed sage native to short-grass prairies
Artemisia versicolor Seafoam (Curlicue Sage) - a short (8") sage with
interesting forms
Artemisia Powis Castle (silver sage) - yard-high non-flowering.
Artemisia albuta Silver King - another large variety
Artemisia schmidtiana silver mound - this one forms cute little balls
about 10" around, very feathery - I had some a few years back but the
grass grew over it (not in a proper bed; I need to work on that).
Artemisia ludoviciana silver frost - this might be the relatively flat
one I had at the same time as the silver mound.

Perennials not artemisias but medieval, with few care requirements, all
growing in my garden:

Lavender - lovely flowers & scent, lots of uses

Chamomile (Roman) - sweet smelling ground cover; flowers make a soothing tea

Thyme (English cooking) - sometimes needs winter protection to survive here

Yarrow - good for wound poultices; will expand to fill available space
if not firmly controlled

Feverfew - self seeding (major understatement!); good against migraines;
pretty flowers

Rue - medieval herb of grace; lovely foliage, bright yellow flowers that
go to seed big time; interesting scent

Mint: spearmint, peppermint, chocolate mint - control firmly if you
don't want them to take over, but smell wonderful & great tea

Lemon balm - another good soothing tea; also mint family, but not as
invasive as others in the family; needs iron in the soil (I have heavy
clay & have to add iron supplements every spring to keep my lemon balm
alive)

Flax - linum species; source of linen, linseed oil, & lovely blue or red
flowers - native to NW US as well as Europe

Hyssop - strongly scented, has lovely blue flower spikes; seeds liberally

Cooking sage - salvia officinalis (not an artemisia!) - also has lovely
blue flower spikes, but doesn't seed as copiously as my other self-seeders

Winter savory - good for cooking; has very tiny pale lavender flowers;
smells wonderful

Violets - short, edible, my favorite scent

Oregano - both Greek & the other one; good for cooking, tea, flowers

Annuals: also medieval; some self-seeding

Basil - cooking! NOT a self-seeder

Calendula - pot marigold - this is the medieval European marigold, not
the taygetes which didn't reach Europe until very late (Gerard refers to
it as a new plant in his 1595 Herbal)

Chervil - one of the French fines herbes for cooking; self-seeding but
not extravagantly so

Coriander - technically a perennial, but not in my climate! Before it
flowers, it's cilantro for Mexican cooking; the seeds are the coriander

Fennel - another technically perennial but not this far North. Grown for
its edible seeds

So there you have it. I am growing or have grown everything on this
list, successfully, in Billings - although this is the banana belt of
Montana (it was only 20 below here last week, not -40F). Some of you may
have seen my display at our Arts & Sciences events the last year or so -
with pictures, herbarium, & scent boxes. I have also grown rosemary &
bay, as potted plants, but I have trouble keeping them over the winter -
won't grow outside & I kill them inside, somehow. Others may have better
luck. Some of my references include Hildegard of Bingen's Physica, the
Lacnunga Anglo-Saxon herbal, & John Gerard, covering about 800AD to the
late 1500s. I'm always happy to answer garden questions about my flowers
& herbs (I also grow roses, but somebody said they wanted stuff that was
EASY to grow). Keep in mind I'm not really an expert anything, I just
love to garden.

Aletheia Isidora of Philae
PS Shauna, note forename spelling please. :) Thanks for the endorsement!