[Artemisia] Uprising Ball

Catriona A. Morganosa catriona_a_morganosa at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 14 07:56:18 CDT 2008

Hey, if we get folks who know the dances that wish to teach them, hail on. I
know Pease Bransle and Black Almain of the one's you listed. As for
Lindahl's page, I can look at the cheat sheets and interpret them because I
have a dance background and understand period dance notation. However, it's
always better to have someone who's seen and done the dances teach them.
Otherwise, it's like virtuous young'un's fumbling around in the dark: Maybe
we'll get it right, but it's going to be messy and someone's going to have a
bruise to explain.

For example, I learned Dargesons a long time ago from Niccolo in the barn at
Mountain Meadow Ranch during Uprising. I remember it fine. However, every
copy of the music for it fails to allow the proper time to finish the dance.
I've looked at the cheat sheets to make sure I'm not adding any steps and
I'm not, but if they play it all the way through, I end up running out of
music at the end of the first pass through on the siding part. If I have the
music play twice, we're doing the arming exchange for a minute. I must be
misremembering, but I can't tell where from the instructions. This is where
having someone who knows the dance would be helpful since I've done it twice
since Niccolo taught it and neither was anywhere near each other. I've tried
at Dance Practices to suss out the problem with live bodies, but in the end
I just need someone more familiar.

So please, feel free, anyone, to bring music and dancing knowledge to the
party. I will gladly turn that over to anyone who has a dance to teach and
the music to dance it. It's the only way I'll have a shot at learning the
other dances folks DON'T have a problem with! Bethany, if you get folks to
bring their instruments and play for the dancers, you are awesome, Sistah!
If folks need the CD player capacity, then so be that too. We will do
whatever we need to in order to let people dance.

Stâpanâ Catriona Morganosa, OP

You know you're entering a bachelor pad when the tenant prefaces the
appearance, not with "It's the maid's day off," but with "Don't pet the fur
in the corner. It's not an animal."