[Artemisia] Daily medieval life - was worst farm jobs

L.J. Richards richardslj at bresnan.net
Mon Jun 23 19:55:43 CDT 2008

re the 1st floor barn or room next door:
    It is thought to be more likely that the animals were kept close at hand
because of protection from night-prowling animals (think wolves, bears,
thieves, outcasts, etc.).  And weather also played a part in it.  The major
problem was disease.  When animals, chickens, etc., were moved away from the
living quarters to a 'barn', various diseases had less impact on the
populace.  There is a reference to these 'facts' in [the book whose name
just disappeared from my brain - geez!  It was published about 5? years ago,
and the author writes about how various diseases and related bugs and
animals have shaped civilizations.  Am sure one of 'out' librarians will
know which book I am referring to - I do have it at the office - I
think....].

Bronwen of Irenwold