[Artemisia] Period Playing Cards

Jerry Shaeffer jerryshaef at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 24 09:16:14 CDT 2008

Greetings Bronwen,

The game you are thinking of is: Bryncir: a 16th century Welsh game for five people and a whole lot of cards.

Anyway, I thank the people who offered suggestions for finding a Punto deck.  I managed to find a source in Italy for 40 card decks.

I learned a couple of fun things.  First of all the decks are still being made, and that they are "regional", i.e. each region as their own particular style of suits and colors.  Was hard to be good and not order one of every type.

Also, that the game, Punto, has fallen out of grace, however, the decks are still sold as Scopa decks, which makes it easier for people to search by, IF they know that trick.  They run about $7.00 a piece.

Again, thanks for the help,

Baron Tor von Butterberg, OP
Jerry Shaeffer
"Who cares what people think?" - George Gallup
"Of course, that's in my job description." - Sweeny Todd