[Artemisia] Vegas practicum and general sword geekery

Justin justinbidel at comcast.net
Fri Mar 7 01:45:17 CST 2008

> Does anyone know of one or several rapier training
> sites? my student is very interested is studying
> different techniques on line if she can.
>
> Thank you
>
> Lady Sybyll

I don't think I'm going to make the practicum, but you should definately go
if you can.  Lots of good information and networking opportunities for
sword-geeks (be prepared to hurt in places you didn't know you had muscles,
there'll be lots of drill).

Studying on line is hard, but it's a good way to get a decent overview of
whats out there.  As mentioned, the ARMA (www.thehaca.com) site has partial
and complete copies of several period rapier texts on line.  www.AEMMA.org
has a more complete library, but there's a yearly fee for subscription.
www.tattershall.org has lotsa good stuff too, some papers in addition to
pdf's of manuals.  I didn't see anybody mention www.salvatorfabris.com yet -
no translations, but some excellent papers, and a neat little forum.  More
original research at http://www.drizzle.com/~celyn/jherek/archive.html.
I'll reiterate, studying on line is hard, and most of that won't do a new
scholar much good at all in practical terms.  For something that *will*
help... I'll second the recommendation for William Wilsons (Baron Gwyllym ap
Owain, OP, OL) "Arte of Defense" - excellent book for a newer student
interested in period rapier, Italian style.  I have an extra copy floating
around somewhere if you'd like to borrow it for a bit.

As the weather turns, I'm going to be restarting our study group in the Salt
Lake area, which focuses on rapier a la Capo Ferro and C&T of the Dardi
persuasion, although we get around the other masters a bit *g*, lemme know
if you and your student are interested.  Ditto for everybody else, btw, come
play!

Justin