[Artemisia] Looking for a book

Bruce Padget bapadget at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 18:42:23 CST 2008

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Tamar Black Sea <tamar at coteduciel.org>
wrote:

> Ummmm....Are you sure that it was "courtly love"?   I think I recall
> that Ulrich was, ummm..., not too keen on pining away for unrequited
> love? I thought he liked the "requited" version a bit better...?

Actually...take a  closer  look at _The Art of Courtly Love_ -- Andreas says
that "mixed" ("fully requited," as it were) love is quite acceptable.  "Pure
love" is preferable, but what pure love permits lovers to do with one
another is well beyond what most moderns would call chaste.

The idea that courtly love is distant and unrequited is one of those
Victorianisms that sneaks into our re-creation.

Regards,
Niccolo
(who's had his copy of the new translation of _The Art of Courtly Love_ on
order for four months now.  Real Soon Now, they say...)
bapadget at gmail.com