[Artemisia] FWD: !!Great Sword Youth Combat!!

Dawn Tavares dtavares1 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 10 11:35:27 CDT 2008

A terrific venue for younger teens!
Cribbed from the Artemisia Militaris.

Aurora de Portugal BLS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The following rules have been approved by Maestro Azir (Kingdom Youth Combat Marshal). There will be a great sword combat workshop and tournament at Uprising.Have fun and be safe,SartakhYouth Combat MarshalBarony of Arn HoldArtemisia Youth Combat Experimental Weapon StandardsGREAT SWORDSAge Division:I.Great sword is for use by division III (ages 13 to 15).Cores:I.3/4" schedule 80 PVC pipe cores (this is the dark gray pipe). Both ends must be capped and wrapped with a length-wise layer of fiberglass filament tape. PVC must remain hollow. Filling PVC with liquid or solids is prohibited.Blade:I.Minimum 1 ½" of closed cell foam padding (i.e. camp pad or pipe insulation) is required for the blade edge of the sword and 1" on the flat side of the blade. The tip must have a minimum of 2" padding beyond the end of the core. Edges must be marked with contrasting tape.II.Pommel end requires padding 1" beyond end of cap and ½" around the cap. III.No thrusting tip or but spikes. IV.Quillions or cross-guards may be constructed of leather or plastic and must be covered completely with 1/2" of closed cell foam.V.All weapons must be proportional to the size of the combatant.Maximum sword length is 66" with a maximum haft length of 18" VI.Mass weapons should have no real mass.Covers:I.Cloth covers are highly recommended but not required. They reduce the slap of duct tape and increase the life of the sword, plus repairs to the sword are easier. Just pull off the cloth cover repair the sword and slide it back on.II.If you use duct tape, do not wrap the tape around and around the sword blade. Use several individual strips well spaced wrapped loosely around the sword to hold things in place and then run one layer of the tape the full length of the blade from top to bottom covering all exposed foam. This will prevent the foam being compressed hard against the Core of the sword. (One layer of tape only!!)Armor:I.Armor requirements are as per divisional standards but thigh protection is recommended.Combat:I.Killing blows are per division standards except that a blow to the shoulder or hip is also considered a killing blow.II.No thrusting.