[Artemisia] Rose Hip Soup

Dawn Tavares dtavares1 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 11 11:33:18 CDT 2008

Hmmm. Hotmail logs this as being sent from my account at 9:38 a.m. today, but it hasn't shown up on the list.
Raven's post about Defenders showed up, logged as 10:23. Is the list having Daylight Savings Time issues?

Anyway. My apologies if this lands in mailboxes as a duplicate.
AdeP

The dear Lord Christian offered: >...based on the things our descendants do with fish, you would likely not trust a vikings word on what is tasty.  But I suspect you would like a recipe and historical references.  Therefore with your permission. I will cross post this question to a more viking focused group<Please do. So many of the rose-based crafts and cooking look Period, but turn out to be inventions of the Victorian era. The Honorable Lady Tamar said: > ....I can tell you that I grew up eating rosehip soup when I was a > child. My family is Swedish and cold fruit soups were a beloved part of > summertime. Rosehip soup was served a little later in fall when the > rosehips had sweetened.That's interesting. The hips in my garden (along the flat of the Wasatch Front) don't ripen until January at the earliest.Do you remember what kind of roses grew in your family garden?  > I have used a dried form bought in packets (kind of like dried onion > soup)...but I have never been able to find it in the US...not even at Ikea.Come to Brine Shrimp Defenders! I'll have rosehips fresh from the garden. One bush produces hips sweet enough for eating plain.And your heirs can join the gleeful slaughter of the Evil Pink Brine Shrimp(tm). I did stumble across a website for a Swedish grocery that carries packets of dried ingredients for traditional foods. I can dig up the URL if you'd like it.  Mistress Malkin's ears perked up: > I have forwarded the question of Rose Hip Soup the the ansteoran SCACooks list.  I will send along what I find out.  Thanks for that, and the recipe. Most of recipes I've found show variations on the same essentials: Rose hips stewed and strained to a puree, water, sweetener, and some form of thickener. The dessert form has it served with sweet cream or ice cream, the "meal" form tops it with nothing but slivered almonds.  I may actually attempt to cook <gasp!> rosehip dishes next year (when my kitchen will, I hope be clean); this year I'm concentrating on education and production. The last growing season gave me a fine crop for display and eating off the bush. I should have enough dried and fresh hips to share with interested cooks. Cold rosehip soup does sound like a wonderful course for a summer feast.... Aurora - southwith spring fever