[Artemisia] Judging alchohol

Bruce Padget bapadget at gmail.com
Sun May 11 18:35:03 CDT 2008

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 4:16 PM, <vindulfr at aol.com> wrote:

> Quietly reminding himself that buying raw materials happens to be Period.

Indeed.  For some reason, there's a notion that the most period approach to
producing artifacts is to do every single step one's self.  I have no idea
where this came from -- certainly not from history.

Some places have "sheep to shawl" competitions.  Starting with an unwashed
fleece, the idea is to produce a finished garment over the course of a
multi-day event.  I've suggested to my fiber arts friends that SCA sheep to
shawl competitions really should include a combat phase.  Having the same
people do the entire process of producing wool fabric could infringe on the
turf of least a couple of guilds.  I wasn't entirely kidding....

Regards,
Niccolo
bapadget at gmail.com

PS Maestro Giusseppe down here feigned confusion when a fiber arts person
was discussing the details of silk production.  She finally said, "Where do
you think silk comes from?"  Giuseppe replied, "From the merchant.  Duh!"