[Artemisia] Woodturning Question

Michael the Loud hanhebin at yahoo.com
Wed May 21 10:24:42 CDT 2008

We had 3 aspen trees die in my yard this year and in
taking these trees down I have more wood than I can
handle at the present.  Green wood is always the
easiest to turn using period methods but distort and
cracks as the wood dries.  I have found this
especially true in the drier climate we have here.

To preserve wood, I frequently seal any excess wood I
get but I have not found any reference to this being
done in period sources.  Does anybody know if this was
done and can point me to a source?  Working with cured
wood was done in period but from what I can found this
was more typically excess wood cut that was stored
until the turner could get to it.

Thanks,
Michael