[Artemisia] Woodturning Question

Michael the Loud hanhebin at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 09:18:39 CDT 2008

> I know that bowers use glue,or paint to coat the
> ends of the wood that they want to age.

I'll have to try glues.  I haven't tried glues because
the period glues weren't that strong and the joinery
was more staggering joints for strength.  I'll have to
give it a try.

I have tried period paints although they don't seal
compared to modern sealants or paints.  You get some
better results if you leave the bark on but if you
prepare blanks they dry out rather quickly due to the
dry air.  They still turn well on a treddle or power
lathe, just not a pole lathe.

Thanks,
Michael