[Artemisia] Off Topic - Propane Tank Warning

Zafirah Tahreer Bint Al Riyah zemlar at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 16:07:58 CDT 2008

Forgive the Off Topic message but this is serious.
Considering how many of us use these tanks for camping
events, it is critical we educate ourselves about
these kinds of dangers.

Below is some valuable information about propane tanks
that many of us purchase at propane tank exchange
centers.

Meth cooks are getting propane tanks from exchanges at
Wal-Mart and other grocery stores and emptying them of
propane.  Then, they are filling them with anhydrous
ammonia.

After they are finished with them, they return them to
the store.  They are then refilled with propane and
sent back for you and me to buy.  Anhydrous ammonia is
very corrosive and weakens the structure of the tank.
It can be very dangerous when mixed with propane and
hooked up to our grills, etc.

You should inspect the propane tank for any blue or
greenish residue around the valve areas.  If it is
present, refuse to purchase that one.

Check out the following website for more details,
including photos showing examples of the blue-green
stain left on brass portions of valves.

http://www.npga.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=529

Zafirah Tahreer Bint Al Riyah
MKA: Erika Andrach

http://www.myspace.com/zaphyrrah

"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees"