[Artemisia] Academy da Cavalaria - a report

Yaasamiin Yaasamiina at rmci.net
Wed May 28 00:28:19 CDT 2008

Our first gathering was Sat the 24th. We started the day at 9a.m. with
registration, a risk management class, discussion of the new equestrian
authorization procedures, subjects to be covered for the day and some
on-the-ground riding exercises to create better balance in the saddle.
At the arena, we studied period tack and how to use our modern versions.
Catch, groom and tacking-up our mounts followed. The remainder of the
morning was spent practicing General Riding skills while learning about
cavalry drills with instruction by Yaasamiin.

After lunch, it was Guillaume's turn instructing with superb tutelage on
how to use swords for Mounted Games such as Crest Combat. He provided
on-the-ground and on horseback sword drills for both the Reed Chop and
Crest Combat games. Historical explanations of each game emphasized the
proper use of the correct sword for each game. For example, maces nor
double edged swords were used for Reed Chop; only single edged swords.
Documentation of its historical roots comes out of a Mameluke treatise
on sword training from horseback. Crest Combat is the historical behourd
and whalebone swords or batons were used for this game. Sword techniques
for the behourd were not the same as for real combat from horseback; but
that's a different instructional class. We finished the riding portion
of the day with javelin throwing drills with Yaasamiin.

In all, there were 4 riders up... half of a 8-rider quadrille... and 1
ground-crew. Our KEO, Freydis the Good, attended, but did not ride. She
made an assessment of all the past EqMarshals in attendance. She
discussed new rules and handed out new Authorization Forms for the EqMIC
to complete. There was no kit class. After 5p.m. and after the horses
were put away, we enjoyed a pot-luck dinner with beverage and watched a
movie.

4 Riders:
Yaasamiin al-Raqqasa al-'Alaa'iiyiyya, EqMIC
Guillaume dela Rapiére
Teleri frech Llud
Katherine WyCliffe

1 Crewman:
Michelle

2 SCA horses, 2 Rentals
No minors, no drivers

Next training day in the Academy will be June 7th, 9-5. We will warm-up
with cavalry drills and go right to sword play for a review. The rest of
the day will be spent on lance work for tilting at rings and quintain
which prepares a rider for the joust. An after revel of pot-luck dinner
and beverage will occur until the stars come out, or whenever.

Everyone interested in the SCA equine activities (either as a spectator,
grounds-crewing, riding or just plain-ole being nosey) is welcome and
there is no fee. If you want to ride and need a horse, rentals are
available through SHE, Inc., a non-profit therapeutic horseback riding
program. The rental fee advertised for Academy da Cavalaria was $40 for
each day. After giving it much thought, we decided to extend that riding
opportunity throughout the month. So, if you wish to ride in June's
Academy da Cavalaria with a rental horse, the fee will be $40 not only
for the day of training but for the entire month of June. In this way,
you can get a great deal of practice time in to prepare for the next
training day. This is a great opportunity; if you desire to experience
the SCA from horseback.

IMW, for your delight, I pass along this bit of eye-candy, a fabulous
video that is once again circling the equine lists. It is one of my
favorites. May I introduce to you Lorenzo: The Flying Frenchman. Enjoy!

http://canecorso.com/lorenzo.htm

Yaasamiin and Guillaume
((((*)))) =]======>

Academy da Cavalaria

Want to take your swordplay to the next level
          … astride a horse?
Want to shoot arrows from horseback
        … like a Hun?
Want to feel the thrill of jousting
       … full-tilt?
Want to ride cavalry drills
… to speed?
Yes?

Then reserve a horse* or bring your own for these five 1-day training clinics in 2008.  May 24, June 7, August 2, September 6, and October 4.

Academy da Cavalaria teaches the history of horsemanship and the art of riding well by the words of the 15th century accomplished horseman and Portuguese King Dom Duarte. “This art brings, besides other advantages, courage to the heart.” The Royal Book of Horsemanship, Jousting and Knightly Combat, Dom Duarte’s Bem Cavalgar (To Ride Well).

Begin with the basics in how to attain and keep the classical riding seat required for effective mounted gaming. Advance to weapons handling and learn techniques for mounted combat, jousting and hunting from horseback. Spend a minimum of 4-hours in the saddle each clinic. In addition, there will be historical studies, workshops on building a proper kit (horse and rider) and after revels!

Location: The Dream River Ranch in Oasis, ID, 25 minutes east of Boise on the Oregon Trail (www.DreamRiverRanch.org). To register, contact Willa Rose at 208-602-3265 or by email: yaasamiina at rmci.net

*Rentals are $40 per day through SHE, (Students and Horses Excel) Inc., a 501(c)(3) charitable organization providing therapeutic horseback riding sessions to children at risk. www.SHEtherapy.org or 208-602-3265.

--
Mu’allemah Yaasamiin al-Raqqasa al-'Alaa'iiyiyya OL, OP
Society Equestrian Officer
equestrian at sca.org
Yaasamiina at rmci.net
208-602-3265