[Artemisia] Coupla Q's for Textile Wonks

S CLEMENGER sclemenger at msn.com
Sat May 31 00:43:19 CDT 2008

1.  I'm not sure about the corduroy...could check for you on some of the
yahoo lists I'm on if you like.
2.  Swiss beading insertion? With actual beads, or one of those techniques
in which you're inserting narrow strips of something?  Post-period, as far
as I know, although there are a couple of late-period and early post-period
extant shirts and shifts that have strips of bobbin lace and other lace
clearly inserted in them.
3.  I'm not familiar with "maline" lace.  Guipure is post-period, AFAIK.  (I
used to have a book on the history of lace, but got rid of it recently, so I
can't easily double-check.)

There are several laces and embroidery techniques that produce "lace"
effects which are demonstrably pre-17th century, but I don't know that your
examples are among them.
--Maire