[Artemisia] Who's Your "King"? -- Authenticity

Jean-Richard deHolloway armorbug1 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 2 12:53:01 CST 2008

Your Grace has indeed hit upon a great discussion subject!  For myself, being of varied persona, I have always gravitated towards the end of the Wars of the Roses.  So, my King would be Richard III, born on the 2nd of October, 1452, and died in battle on the 22th August, 1485.  His Majesty was King of England from 1483 until his death. He was the last of the House of York to reign as King of England, and his defeat at the Battle of Bosworth brought about the end of what would later come to be called the Wars of the Roses and the end of the Plantagenet dynasty.   The Holy Father at the time was Pope Sixtus IV, born Francesco della Rovere on the 21st of July, 1414, and died on the 12th of August, 1484.  He was elected Pope in 1471 and occupied the Holy See until his death in 1484. Amongst other notable acts, such as consenting to Ferdinand II and Isabella's Spanish Inquisition, he is best know for founding the Sistine Chapel where the team of artists
 he brought together introduced the Early Renaissance to Rome with the first masterpiece of the city's new artistic age.
Now, this brings me to my alter ego, who had no King, but a Shogun.  In 1603, at the age of 60, Tokugawa Ieyasu was awarded the title of Shogun from Emperor Go-Yozei.  He claimed descent from the Minamoto clan through the Nitta family. The Tokugawa Shogunate would rule Japan for the next 250 years.  Following tradition, Ieyasu abdicated the position of Shogun in 1605 and his son and heir, Tokugawa Hidetada, succeeded him.  The abdication of Ieyasu had no practical effect on his powers or his rule as the "power behind the Shogun".  Hidetada nevertheless assumed the role as the formal governor of the bakufu.  And just for the sake of the Popes, those cursed gaijin from across the great water, were Clement VIII (1592-1605), Leo XI (1605), and Paul V (1605-21).Again, great topic!HL Jean-Richard deHollowaySeneschal Barony of Gryphon's Lair

"Here I stand.  Here I remain."