[Artemisia] Christmas carols?

L.J. Richards richardslj at bresnan.net
Mon Nov 3 22:12:24 CST 2008

As an interesting sidenote - the carols were actually dance carols
(especially before the Victorians got hold of them).  One of the best - or
worst - examples is the tune of Good King Winsceslas(sp.!).  It's a 'flower
carol' (spring/summer) and is to be played brightly and fairly fast for
dancing.  Of course, the Victorians turned it into a dirge.  I have looked
for the words to the early version of and one and so far have only found a
couple of lines being quoted.  Oh well, maybe later.
Bronwen
(who still has her first book of carols)