[Artemisia] Quen Quer Que?

Bruce Padget bapadget at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 21:21:50 CDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 7:29 PM, Reuben and Arwen <reuben_arwen at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Anyone have a cheat sheet for steps to Quen Quer Que?  Thanks,  Esther

Not as such, and I don't know if Master Sion's article on it for the Letter
of Dance has come out yet.  Master Sion's theory is that this sort of early
dance, called "carola," was not recorded because it was somewhat
extemporaneous.   And it *is* a speculative choreography.  So don't be too
dogmatic about the steps.  (That's not my request, it's Master Sion's.)

Anyway --
Circle for as many as will
Base pattern -- dL, dR, sL, sR, dL, sR  (I find "4, 4, 1, 1, 4, 1" a useful
mnemonic.)

For the chorus, on the first dL spiral inward and leftward, and on the dR
spiral outward and leftward.  The chorus goes through twice.

For the verses, the base pattern goes 4 times.  You can simply repeat the
base pattern, but the usual choregraphy replaces doubles left with a doubles
that spin counterclockwise while moving to the left.  Thus:

dL, dR, sL, sR, dL, sR
spin L, dR, sL, sR, L, sR
dL, dR, sL, sR, spin L, sR
spin L, dR, sL, sR, spin L, sR

If you can find it, the absolute best recording is track 3 on the "Miracles"
CD by Dufay Collective.

Regards,
Niccolo
bapadget at gmail.com