[Artemisia] Combat Requirements--Insurrection II

Sean Oppenheimer sean_oppenheimer at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 18 08:45:22 CDT 2008

Conchobhar,

This has got to be the most ridiculous attempt I've seen at 'Rules-Lawyering' that I have seen in the past decade.  And I have seen quite a bit, thank you very much.

The assertion that you can't be barred from entering a tournament is simply perposterous.  If you have to be a member to be authorized, and you have to be authorized to enter a tournament, then you have to be a member to enter a tournament.  Your logic in this regard is more flawed than a New Orleans levee.

We don't need more laws.  And despite this most recent quixotic argument that you really are trying to start, we don't need to spell it out *explicity*.

And by the way, if the Kingdom Earl Marshall says that you have to be a member to fight in a tournament or at any other time, there is only one entity that can override that decision.  As it seems that you want to have things spelled out for you, that entity is the CROWN.

You know I have a great deal of respect for you.  And ordinarily, I would have sent something straight to you and tell you to stop being and 'Assorted'-Hat.  But, this is a statement that is so off-base, that it seems to me a public response was in order.

Sean> Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 02:25:29 -0600> From: connor.mac.michil at gmail.com> To: artemisia at lists.gallowglass.org> Subject: Re: [Artemisia] Combat Requirements--Insurrection II> > > Not to start an argument Your Grace, indeed you can call it just my> desire to some day become a corporate lawyer, but...> > None of Artemisian Kingdom Law, the Artemisian Marshallate Standards> Handbook, nor the Artemisian Rapier Rules require a combatant to be a> member of the Society for Creative Ananchronism to fight within the> Kingdom of Artemisia. Both the ArMS and the Artemisian Rapier rules> *do* require membership for *authorization*, but *not* for combat.> While I realize the intent of the rules and Kingdom Law was to> institute pay-to-play(fight), and my personal opinions about that> aside I abide by it, what the rules *actually* state is that Artemisia> is pay-to-*authorize* and pay-to-receive-awards. Yes, people are asked> for both authorization and membership cards when they sign up for a> list, but someone refusing to show their membership *cannot* actually> be barred from anything other than Crown List - according to current> Law.> > Am I advocating a change to Law, yes. Absolutely. Either way actually.> Either have the membership requirement (which does not serve any real> purpose other than keeping our membership numbers up) removed or> *explicitly* written in to require membership to participate in any> combat.> > Don Conchobhar mac Michil> _______________________________________________> Artemisia mailing list> Artemisia at lists.gallowglass.org> http://lists.gallowglass.org/mailman/listinfo/artemisia