[Artemisia] Kingdom Responsibilities - Officers vs Royalty

LadyPDC at aol.com LadyPDC at aol.com
Thu Apr 9 12:02:18 CDT 2009

I have to agree with Alan, though Morgan does make some good points.
Perhaps it would be easier understood if we looked at similar examples outside
of the SCA.

An attorney working on a case usually has many assistants, aids and
secretaries who gather the materials he needs and put them in place.   However, it
is the attorney who presents to the court and, if something is  wrong, the
judge will not ask the secretary why she didn't have the evidence  needed in
court.

In most businesses, the owner(s) receive the lions share of any profit but
they also have to handle any problems that come up.  They almost always
have employees who do most of the work.  Those workers do what the owner
tells them to do and the owner has to answer to their clients, customers, and to
 the tax man if something isn't done right.

Right now most of us are in the process of doing our taxes.  Many of  us
will use the services of someone else to complete these taxes, mostly because
they are so difficult to understand.  Whether we use a tax accountant, a
service like H&R Block, or a program out of the box, if there is an error it
is us that the IRS will come to and expect to explain or pay.  We might
fire or sue the service who prepared the return for us but that won't mean
that  the IRS will come to them.  It is our responsibility to hire a good
advisor  or to choose a good program and use it right and it is us who have to
answer any  questions from the IRS.

In all of those cases and in the SCA, we do have others to help "da boss"
but ultimate responsibility still rests at the top.  If "da boss" picks
good people, then those people will do the job well and "da boss" doesn't have
to solve any issues.  And, in all of the examples including the SCA, doing
a good job relies on good information whether it is in the form of good
instructions or in the form of full information and good communications.

When you look at it from that point of view, both Alan and Morgan are
correct but Alan is just a bit "more" correct.  And it would be a good idea  for
all offices to have or create some basic instructions and for every office
holder to add to or edit said instructions.  (and it shows how important it
 is for royalty to know the people of their land and to make good
selections in  their courts and officers) (ok, to participate in the selection of
officers)

:::::::climbing off of the darn soapbox that somehow found me  again::::::::

Constance de la Rose, OL

Barony of Loch  Salaan
Kingdom of Artemisia

"Remember, it should also be  fun"

In a message dated 4/9/2009 9:58:21 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,