[Artemisia] was "Hopps & Herbs" now: "how to kill grasshoppers"

Georgia Foster jo_foster81 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 23 13:58:57 CDT 2009

Back in my landscaping days we used a mixture that was 1 part Ivory Dish Soap, 1 part Listerine (generic), 1 part tobacco tea (steep a can of REALLY CHEEP chewing tobacco in 1 gallon of water) and two gallons of water in a pump-sprayer.  Never tried it on hoppers but it works well for elm bugs and other pesties that infest tree leaves.  We also sprayed it on the cut stumps of pruned limbs and in the forks of tree limbs that were splitting for whatever reason.
Worked for Wyoming, where rainfall is sparse.  Will need to be reapplied after every rainstorm and about once a month in any case.
Does NOT work when the whole frelling neighborhood is infested of the pest.  Keeps the bugs off the treated trees, but when it washes off, the little buggies come on over from un-treated trees.

Jo (Georgia L.) Foster

Never knock on Death's door.
Ring the doorbell and run ... he hates that.

I don't want to set the world on fire, I'm just trying to light a candle.