[Artemisia] Not at all OT: Hopps & Herbs

LadyPDC at aol.com LadyPDC at aol.com
Fri Apr 24 13:38:37 CDT 2009

ON the subject of grasshoppers, try planing strawberries near your  roses.
Not only are they companion plants, feeding each other, but they  also
protect one another.  I don't know if they work on large numbers of  the hoppers
but the hoppers we get every spring do avoid my strawberry  surrounded
roses.  (the strawberries also keep the ants and affids away  too.

I will be going up to A & S in Missoula from the Loch Salann area and  can
transport any strarts anyone wants to send from the area.  Also any  A&S
entries that anyone wants to enter before the pre-reg deadline this  Saturday
(4-25) but wasn't going to be able to take up to Missoula  personally.  Just
let me know and we will arrange to get your starts or  entries picked up on
or before 5-1.

I will also be at Uprising (if I don't' get pulled in for Jury Duty) and
will likely have several more starts to trade by then, including Rue, Savory,
 Thyme, Lemon Thyme, Comfrey, Chives, Garlic, Egyptian Walking Onions,
Horehound,  Marshmallow, Peppermint, Spearmint, Wintergreen, Tarragon, Feverfew,
Parsley,  Marjoram, Oregano, Fennel,  ....  oh gosh, lets just say I have a
lot  of herbs in my yard and not even look at the back garden or my own
seed stash or  we will be here all day.

I haven't yet heard back from Marseilles but I have volunteered to teach a
gardening type class at Uprising this year, either Medieval Garden Design,
Companion Planting, or Feeding and Fighting (dealing with fertilizing and
pests  the medieval way).  I only have the time and energy to teach one of
them,  whichever she chooses, but that will be at least one other place where
we  gardeners of the kingdom can meet and compare notes.  Maybe we should
consider starting a gardening guild so we could all share knowledge,
thoughts,  seeds and starts throughout the year.

::::running to hide under a rock since I know at least one person will
chastise me for suggesting one more thing for me to spend my time on - but I
really would enjoy ongoing discussions with garden minded folks ::::::::

Constance de la Rose, OL

Barony of Loch  Salaan
Kingdom of Artemisia

"Remember, it should also be  fun"

"To get anywhere, we need to  stop talking and start doing"
-Walt Disney-

In a message dated 4/23/2009 9:16:19 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
dtavares1 at hotmail.com writes:

Gefjon,

> If you're coming to A&S, I would love to  have some lemon balm, leeks and
> particualrly some Russian Sage.  (

I won't be able to do Kingdom A&S, unfortunately, but I  will bring whatever

I've got to Uprising.

>  All I can do is think wistfully of the roses. If the deer don't eat
them,
> the grasshoppers do. Does anyone know how to kill thousands of  hoppers
> without using some nasty poison?!!

Pray for a  flight of Utah's miraculous gulls. :\

Sadly, that's the best advice I  can  offer.

Aurora

Windows  Live™ SkyDrive™: Get 25 GB of free online storage.
http://windowslive.com/online/skydrive?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_skydrive_042009
Artemisia  mailing  list
Artemisia at lists.gallowglass.org