[Artemisia] Kingdom A&S entrants

morgan wolf morganblaidddu at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 29 06:33:02 CDT 2009

---- Original Message ----
From: Sean Oppenheimer <sean_oppenheimer at hotmail.com>
To: Artemisia List <artemisia at lists.gallowglass.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 11:33:31 PM
Subject: Re: [Artemisia] Kingdom A&S entrants

>Apples and Bungee Jumping Excellency.  Because even Oranges would still be fruit.

>In this regard, the two should not  be compared.

>Over the past several years we have been lucky to have six people entering Kingdom A&S total.  To have six competing to be champion and at least another six entering in addition is good progress in my mind.

I will wholeheartedly agree, My Prince, that having 6 competitors for Champion is much better than those years when we've only had two or three, or worst of all one, but perhaps these competitions should *not* be Apples and Bungee Jumping.  We all know that fighting is "only" 10-30% of what we do, i.e. only 10-30% of us are authorized fighters, so what are the other 70% of us doing?  Also consider, please, that one of the "Knightly Virtues" is knowledge of the Arts and Sciences.  Would it not therefore by as appropriate for Knights to require their squires and men-at-arms to enter for A&S Champion as it is for them to require their men(or women) to enter Queen's Champion, or the Uprising Unbelted Tourney?  Is it not logical to think that our many Laurels should consider this as important an undertaking as most Knights consider the King's Champion Tourney?  Or that they would require their apprentices to enter this Championship, just as many
 Knights require their squires to enter Queen's Champion?

Please understand, one and all, that I am *not* trying to be argumentative, nor do I wish to degrade the great efforts put forth by those 6 entrants.  In fact, each and every one of those entrants has my full admiration and deepest gratitude, thank you all for making it an actual competition this year.  I am simply asking the questions that I think need to be asked, this is not a personal attack on anyone.  And because I know it will be asked- yes, I did intend to enter for Champion this year, several medium issues, revolving around/attached to one major issue prevented me from doing so.  If anyone needs further clarification of that, they are welcome to contact me privately.

So, a challenge- I will be entering the Kingdom Arts and Sciences Champion Competition next year, and giving you all a full year to prepare, I call on all Proteges, Apprentices, and Squires to meet me on that field of Artistic Battle.  Be a credit to your Pelicans, Laurels, and Knights, and show that you have taken this "Peer-like Quality" to heart.  And if any of you Peers feel that my challenge to your Protege/Apprentice/Squire is inappropriate, you are welcome to either take me to task privately, or to answer my challenge in their stead.

Buchedda at gweinydda
(I live to serve)
Barwn Morgan Blaidd Du 'r Chloffa