[Artemisia] Kingdom A&S competition; was Kingdom A&S entrants

morgan wolf morganblaidddu at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 29 07:15:24 CDT 2009

Original Message ----
From: B Wolf <idahobrad at cableone.net>
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 5:38:38 AM
Subject: Re: [Artemisia] Kingdom A&S entrants

Morgan,
Keep in mind the requirements for Champion are "5 in 3" that is, 5 different
entries in 3 different grand categories.  Consider the effort for creating a
masterpiece work (for that's what you need if you want to wear the chain),
and multiply that by 5.  Oh, and you have to have 3 different Grand
Cateories, so that's cooking, textiles, performance; or metalwork, brewing,
illumination...  Truly the Champion is someone who can pull from 3
completetly different areas and make them shine.

-Braden (former Kingdom A&S Champion)

Baron K. Braden von Sobernheim, OL,OP,GA  Baron of Arn Hold
(Brad Wolf)
Red meat is not bad for you.  Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

Excellency,

You and I both know that it does NOT take 5 "masterpiece works" to wear the chain, it only takes being the 5 best works *entered*.  There is no minimum score required, just as there is no minimum number of entrants. Perhaps there should be.
Although I will agree that, with the field of competitors we have this year, it will indeed take at least 5 exceptional works, to be Champion.

As for the "pull from three completely different areas", two points- 1] there is no rule that the entries have to be from drastically different areas, they can be from very similar areas; 2] with the wide variety of grand and sub- categories that we have, I can't imagine that ANY person in Artemisia doesn't do *something* in at least three of the grand categories, and of course one item can be multiple categories by itself.
Further, I don't think anyone requires that an entrant for Arts and Sciences Champion  enter only "masterpiece works", just that they enter their *best effort*.  That, I feel, is wholly as it should be- do your best and enter it, don't worry whether or not it is a "masterpiece work".

Perhaps it is this idea that you must enter 5 masterpieces to have any chance at winning that causes people to hold back from entering.  If so, it is a bad thing.

Buchedda at gweinydda
(I live to serve)
Barwn Morgan Blaidd Du 'r Chloffa