[Artemisia] Kingdom A&S competition; was Kingdom A&S entrants

B Wolf idahobrad at cableone.net
Wed Apr 29 08:13:27 CDT 2009

-----Original Message-----

Excellency,

You and I both know that it does NOT take 5 "masterpiece works" to wear the
chain, it only takes being the 5 best works *entered*.  There is no minimum
score required, just as there is no minimum number of entrants. Perhaps
there should be.
Although I will agree that, with the field of competitors we have this year,
it will indeed take at least 5 exceptional works, to be Champion.

As for the "pull from three completely different areas", two points- 1]
there is no rule that the entries have to be from drastically different
areas, they can be from very similar areas; 2] with the wide variety of
grand and sub- categories that we have, I can't imagine that ANY person in
Artemisia doesn't do *something* in at least three of the grand categories,
and of course one item can be multiple categories by itself.
Further, I don't think anyone requires that an entrant for Arts and Sciences
Champion  enter only "masterpiece works", just that they enter their *best
effort*.  That, I feel, is wholly as it should be- do your best and enter
it, don't worry whether or not it is a "masterpiece work".

Perhaps it is this idea that you must enter 5 masterpieces to have any
chance at winning that causes people to hold back from entering.  If so, it
is a bad thing.

Buchedda at gweinydda
(I live to serve)
Barwn Morgan Blaidd Du 'r Chloffa

Your Excellency,
I think that you will find that those who have worn the chain of champion
had 3+ masterpiece works in their arsenal.  And to correct your points
1) drastically different areas is what the grand categories are.  By
definition, they are not related.  While you can combine different grand
categories into a final project (i.e. weaving the fabric, then making the
dress), those are two *very* different sets of skills.
2) Doing 'something' in an Arts & Science category is quite different than
entering something in Kingdom A&S while going for Champion.  I can make
books, I can make a felt hat.  Do I feel that my skills in either of these
is worthy of putting into an A&S entry?  I think not.

No one should be intimidated by what it takes to make a masterpiece.  The
judging criteria are out there and available for all to read and know what
they will be graded on.  It's the dedication and drive to make the effort to
put all the pieces together, take the time to do it right, and explain it
all to those who need to know about what they are to judge.  The victor this
Saturday will be that person:  The one who has put enough forethought,
effort, and attention to detail into their work.

I look forward to seeing you compete next year for Champion at A&S.

-Braden

Baron K. Braden von Sobernheim, OL,OP,GA  Baron of Arn Hold
(Brad Wolf)
Red meat is not bad for you.  Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.