[Artemisia] Competition

LadyPDC at aol.com LadyPDC at aol.com
Thu Apr 30 02:38:52 CDT 2009

In a message dated 4/30/2009 12:16:31 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
carynvnk at comcast.net writes:

Constance, do you remember what all your entries were? The ones of mine
that
I can remember (it WAS ten years ago) are:

a German loose gown  and surcoat, based on two museum pieces
a white vine scroll (Duke Sean's  County)
a Book of Lindisfarne style AOA scroll with the left half being a  carpet
page and illuminated text on the right
(both of these entered in  both calligraphy and illumination)
the silk and gold embroidered coif,  still flat (embroidery only)
a research paper on the history of the small  harp
a research paper on Design Elements in Irish Illumination
two  broken consort pieces by William Byrd, arranged by me for Irish  harp

Hmmm, I am not sure I will remember it all but I will make an  attempt:

a Laurel (bay leaf) tree I had grown from a seed direct from the
Mediterranean (5 years old at the time)
two liqueurs (I even went to far as to "make" the sugar from a sugar cane)
and documenting that wheat vodka was period.
A pastry castle with sausage hedgehogs in residence and sauces and  sides
in each tower
The sausage hedgehogs (ground the sausage myself among other things)
Creme Bastarde - a sweet sauce for fruits
Another sauce I can't remember the name, for dipping the hedgehogs
A Salat done based on the herbs and greens available in early spring (and
hand grown in my garden)
a selection of Pynade (pine nut and honey candy) from various recipes
throughout our period and culminating with the kingdom arms done in this  candy.
The infamous geese stuffed with two versions of stuffing done at that time
(and having researched the effects of cooking in a real brick oven then
determining a way to duplicate the effects in a modern oven)
And a glazing method called "endoring" that truly made the finished cooked
geese look golden.
A handcream based on two period recipes

Whew!!!!   In those days the maximum entries allowed was 12 and  I hit the
maximum.  I think I thought you had to enter the maximum to have  a chance
of having 5 really good scores.  And yes, with the exception of  the laurel
tree, I did all of the work in that one year,.  I look back at  that
experience now and wonder "What was she thinking????"   But I was  new to the SCA
and didn't believe in limits.

It certainly is an experience that everyone should try at least  once.  (I
have managed it twice) It is both challenging and fun.  And  rest assured
that not everyone gets as intense as I did those long years ago  (not even I
get that intense anymore)  As with any other tourney, the  winner is the best
person to take the field on that day.  And you  will be your own harshest
judge, so don't let that harsh judge stop you from the  fun of the
competition.  Yes, it is fun.  You never know, you could be  the next "surprise"
champion.

Start planning now for next years competition and remember that the
kingdom Laurels are also some of the best resources you can find, you have only
to ask (most of us don't bite and would be thrilled to help)

Constance de la Rose, OL

Barony of Loch  Salaan
Kingdom of Artemisia

"Remember, it should also be  fun"