[Artemisia] Competition

LadyPDC at aol.com LadyPDC at aol.com
Thu Apr 30 15:43:31 CDT 2009

It is the gardening diary of a minor lord or there abouts whose hobby was
his gardens.  It covers about a 5 year time span.  Unfortunately it is
written in Medieval Italian, which bears about as much resemblance to modern
Italian that Olde English bear to American Slang.  So the going is quite  slow
since my knowledge of anything Italian dates back to high school and is
hopelessly mushed together with high school Spanish and Jr. High School
French.  I kept changing languages and didn't learn any of them well at  all.
Now many years later, it is a challenge to get through a few  paragraphs and
understand some of what he is writing. (not to mention that the  book was
written and printed and bound in 1503 - not a modern copy, the actual  book, so
I am quite careful of the book itself, which also slows down the
translation.)

So I can tell you that so far he hasn't mentioned Roses but that I haven't
made it through a great deal of the book either so the rose section may
well be  in the great undiscovered portions of the book.

But I would be glad to share it with you at some safe place and time, or at
 least let you know if I do run across reference to roses.  So far the
small  section that I have managed to translate has ben fascinating both in new
discoveries on methods I had not know of and in the discussion of some
methods  that I had thought were unknown until a later time.

It is a lovely, if painfully slow and delicate, read though and I will  be
sharing some of the things I have learned from it in my class at  uprising.

Constance de la Rose

-

In a message dated 4/30/2009 12:30:49 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
dtavares1 at hotmail.com writes:

Dame Constance made my eyes light up:

> Not to  mention the Italian Gardening Book from 1503 that I have been
slowly
>  translating and applying

Oooh, I haven't heard about this  one!! Does it discuss  roses?