[Artemisia] pets at events & service animals

Holly Howarth ainemaccullen at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 2 23:21:40 CDT 2009

I went mundane camping (I know, I'm weird) and came back to this thread.  I won't rehash what has already been said, as others have already covered the topic admirably, but I would like to add my own, personal addition, as the role of service dogs have a special place in my heart:

Most of you know that I own dogs, love dogs, show dogs, breed dogs...dogs are a huge part of my life!  I would have them with me at every event if I could!  I, too, have dealt with those irresponsible people who ruin it for those of us who are responsible with our pets and I wish I could somehow fix the problem easily and permanently...but I know that's not possible.  As it is, I would encourage anyone who's having a problem with a pet at an event to talk to the pet's owner, and if that doesn't fix the issue, to talk to a person in authority (autocrat, etc).  Do I grumble when I can't bring my dogs?  Yes.  Do I try to flout the rules and sneak my dogs in?  NO!  One of my dogs is a registered therapy dog.  I have an ID card for him, and he wears a special collar tag that identifies him as a therapy dog.  Oreo is excellent at cheering people up in hospitals and nursing
homes.  He is a great snuggler, and will let you do just about anything
to him as long as he's getting attention.  This is wonderful, and
endears him to many people, but it does not make him a service dog and
I will not portray him as such even though it means that sometimes I
can't go to an event when I can't find/afford a puppy-sitter.  Now, since most people don't know the difference between a service dog and a therapy dog, I could conceivably bluff my way through into bringing him on site at a "no pets allowed" event since he has an official ID and tag.  Will I ever try to do this?  ABSOLUTELY NOT!  Service dogs are an incredibly important tool (as well as a best friend!) to the people who need them.  A service dog can mean the difference between being trapped in a bed, alone with the tv, and getting out and leading a fairly normal life.

To those who hold events: please please please consider carefully before disallowing ALL dogs on your site/at your events!

To those who are considering passing off your pet dog as a service dog: please please please DO NOT DO IT!

HL Aine MacCullen
Artemisian Regent of Hounds