[Artemisia] November 2009 Laurel Acceptances and Returns

Mike Bradley connor.mac.michil at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 11:09:24 CST 2009

Seasons Greetings, Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah,
Joyous Kwanza, Merry Yule, Happy Solstice, and a Wonderful "Get your
hands off of that! I saw it first! So drop the Zhu Zhu now, or my kid
is going to have your blood all over their toys on the 25th!" to you
all.

What follows are the acceptances and returns for the November 2009
Laurel(Wreath/Pelican) meeting(s) on submissions.  As always, this is
for informational purposes only, as I am not the Herald in charge of
doing official notifications.  If you have questions on submission
status, need an explaination of why something was returned, etc. feel
free to contact myself, your local herald, Baroness Shauna, Mistress
Kelwin, or, I'm not sure who will be Golden Pillar (Submissions)
Herald after the New Year (since last I heard HL Hanne will be
stepping down at the end of the year).

HL Conchobhar, Sage Herald

ACCEPTANCES
ARTEMISIA
Alexander de Ormiskirke. Name and device. Argent, a horse rampant
within a bordure dovetailed vert.
The documentation for the name was not adequately summarized on the
LoI; an Academy of Saint Gabriel Report number was
noted, but no information was provided concerning what the report said
about the elements. Had the commenters not supplied
the missing information, we would have been forced to pend or return this name.

Darius Coligny. Device change. Or, on a flame gules an increscent Or, a
bordure sable.
His previous device, Plumetty sable and argent, an increscent Or, is
retained as a badge.

Elizabeth Hams. Name.
Edelweiss notes the baptism of Elizabeth, daughter of William Hams, in
Kent, 1598. Thus we can give this submission a very
resounding "nice name!".

Friedrich vom Harz. Name.
Listed on the LoI as Friedrich con den Harz Bergen, a timely
correction was issued changing the name to Friedrich von den
Harz Bergen.
The byname von den Harz Bergen was intended to mean ’of the Harz
mountains’. However, no documentation was provided,
and none could be found by the commenters, for German bynames based on
mountain ranges. Lacking such evidence, they are
not registerable. Siren notes that:
The names <Andreas vom Harz> and <Andres vom Hartz> are dated to 1598
and 1604 respectively, according to
Die familiennamen Quedlinburgs und der umgegend by Selmar Kleemann (p. 191,
http://books.google.com/books?id=imgSAAAAYAAJ).
Since the submitter allows all changes, we have changed the name to
Friedrich vom_Harz_ in order to register it.

Gryphon’s Lair, Barony of. Order name Order of the Flame of Pharos
(see RETURNS for other actions).
The addition of the reference to the real-world place name Pharos
clears this order of conflict with Barony of the Flame, Flame
Pursuivant, and Order of the Flames of Starkhafn (the latter two
registered to the Barony of Starkhafn).

Isabelot Joaliere. Name.

Kano Hiroyoshi. Name and device. Sable, a roundel within a mullet of
eight points voided and interlaced argent.

Markus Ruger. Name (see RETURNS for device).

Merglin Fuchsyn. Device. Per pale azure and bendy argent and gules, a
fox sejant Or.
Please instruct the submitter to draw the fox larger, to better fill
the available space.

Ruaidrí Campbell. Device. Per saltire gules and azure, a lion’s head
cabossed within an orle Or.

Ruaidrí Campbell. Badge (see RETURNS for household name). (Fieldless)
A quadricorporate fox Or.
Commenters asked if the use of a quadricorporate creature is a step
from period practice. It is not. A quadricorporate lion
appears on the seal of Sicilie de Heworthia, in the 13th century. It
is referenced in The Heraldic Imagination by Rodney
Dennys.

Shauna of Carrick Point. Heraldic will.

Sheela de Presle. Name.
Sheela was documented on the LoI from Ó Corráin & Maguire, Irish
Names, as a modern anglicization of the Gaelic name
Síle. Modern anglicized forms found in Ó Corráin & Maguire are
generally not registerable; however, in this case, the
commenters provided evidence to show that Sheela is consistent with
period anglicizations of Síle. Rowel says:
However, I’ve got an in-progress Anglicized Irish article that should
be done in a couple of weeks. I’ll post the link
here. In the meantime, here are versions of <Sile> from it: Sceile,
Seeilie, Seelie, Seely, Selie, Sely, Sheellie, Shelie,
Shely, Shila, Shilie, Shillie, Shilly, Shily, Shylly, Silie, Sillie, Sylly, Syly
Red Hawk comments that:
The given examples should be enough to justify Sheela. I see S/Sh/Sc,
e/ee/i/y, l/ll, e/ie/y/a. Sheela fits this pattern
and is a faithful and plausible spelling in English of the sound of
the name, though of course, that isn’t to say that the
spelling was ever actually found in period. It may however be enough
to grant benefit of the doubt.
We agree with this analysis.
This name combines Anglicized Irish and English, which is a step from
period practice.

Teresa de Cadiz. Device. Vert, a New World pineapple Or within an orle
of pheons argent.
There is a step from period practice for the use of a New World pineapple.

Wolfgang von Tolstat. Device. Per bend Or and sable, a raven and a
cross formy quadrate counterchanged.

RETURNS
ARTEMISIA
Björn Hrafnsen. Name.
Listed on the LoI as Bjorn Hrafnsen, a timely correction was issued
changing the name to Björn Hrafnsen.
The byname Hrafnsen violates RfS III.1.a Linguistic Consistency by
combining Old Norse Hrafn with Danish sen.
Additionally, in a patronymic byname, Hrafn needs to be in the
genitive case, i.e., Hrafns or Hrafnar. A wholly Old Norse
form of the byname, to match the language of the given name, would be
Hrafnsson. We would change the name to this form,
but the submitter does not allow major changes, such as changing the
language of an element.
Please inform the submitter that for purposes of registration we do
not represent the o-ogonek with ö, but with {o,}, so if he
wishes to resubmit an Old Norse form of the given name, it should be
spelled Bj{o,}rn or Bi{o,}rn. Alternatively, if he is
interested in a later-period Danish name, we recommend Biorn
Raffnssen; Biorn and Raffn are the most common medieval
Danish forms of the name in Danmarks Gamle Personnavne, s.nn. Biorn, Rafn.

Gryphon’s Lair, Barony of. Order name Order of the Gryphon’s Candle.
The order pattern <animal’s> + <object> has been disallowed for many
years, except when the object is something closely
associated with the animal:
[Order of the Dragon’s Pheon] This name is being returned because it
does not follow period style of order names,
nor does it follow the pattern of previous order names of the barony.
... Dragon’s is not a reasonable adjective to
modify a pheon. [Dragonsspine, Barony of, 08/99, R-Outlands]
[Award of the Griffins Sword.] By precedent, Order names using the
pattern "beast/monster’s+attribute" must use an
attribute normally associated with that beast or monster:
Order of the Griffin’s Flame- A flame is not an attribute associated
with a griffin, therefore we need to see
evidence that Griffin’s Flame is a reasonable name for an order (January 2000)
A sword is not an attribute normally associated with a griffin.
[Northshield, Principality of, LoAR 01/2005,
Northshield-R]
Likewise, a candle is not an attribute normally associated with a
griffin. Thus, the submitted order name is not registerable.
We note that the order name Order of the Gryphon and the Candle would
be registerable; however, this is a major change,
which the submitters do not allow.

Gryphon’s Lair, Barony of. Heraldic title Gryphon’s Spike Pursuivant.
Listed on the LoI as Gryphon’s Spike Persuivant, a timely correction
was issued changing the name to Gryphon’s Spike
Pursuivant.
This is returned for lack of documentation that the construction
<heraldic monster>’s <body-part> follows period patterns of
heraldic titles. Siren explains the problem:
I know of no heraldic titles taking the form "creature’s bodypart."
One in which the bodypart is itself a charge
wouldn’t surprise me, but I know of nothing that would support the
idea that an aspect of a creature would lead to a
heraldic title (or order name, or inn-sign name).
An alternate that might interest the barony is Spike Pursuivant,
following the pattern <inherited surname> + Pursuivant found
in Juliana de Luna, "Heraldic Titles from the Middle Ages and
Renaissance". The surnames Spikes and Spyke are dated to
1316 and 1322, respectively, in Reaney & Wilson, A Dictionary of
English Surnames. Spike is a reasonable extrapolated form.

Markus Ruger. Device. Azure, on a fess between a lymphad, oars
shipped, and a sea dragon argent three compass roses azure.
This device is returned for conflict with the device of Werner Barg
(Feb. 2007, Æthelmearc), Azure, on a fess between two
mullets argent, a mastiff statant sable between two mullets azure.
There is a single CD for changing the type of the secondary
charges. Since there are three types of charge on the field (fess,
lymphad, sea dragon), this device is not suitable for purposes
of section X.4.j.ii of the Rules for Submission and, therefore, there
is no CD for changing only the type of the tertiary charge
group. Changing the tincture of just one of three tertiary charges
does not provide the second change necessary for granting a
CD using section X.4.j.i of the Rules for Submission.
Please advise the submitter that a compass rose should be depicted
with only a single north point.

Rachele Cornelii. Device. Azure, a bend sinister between a hawk’s bell
and a pomegranate slipped and leaved all within a bordure
engrailed argent.
This device is returned for a redraw of the bordure. From any
distance, it is impossible to tell that the bordure has a complex
edge treatment.

Ruaidrí Campbell. Household name House of Fox and Bow.
This household name is not correctly constructed; it lacks the definite
article the following the designator, i.e., House of the Fox
and Bow. We cannot make this correction since the submitter does not
allow major changes, such as the addition of an element.