[Artemisia] FW: Stefan's Florilegium article for February

Caointiarn caointiarn1 at bresnan.net
Thu Feb 12 07:58:24 CST 2009

Greetings to the Gentles across the Known World,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for February, detailing what

is new in the Florilegium this month.

I have added an RSS feed for the Florilegium website. If you are

already reading RSS feeds, please add the Florilegium RSS feed to find out
when new and updated files as well as new features as they get added to the
website. If you are unfamiliar with RSS, or Real Simple Syndication, is a
method built into many web browsers as being available as a separate tool,
which lets you find out when the contents of your favorite websites has been
updated or changed. You can find out more about RSS at this link as well as
elsewhere: http://rss.softwaregarden.com/aboutrss.html

Like much of the economy, web advertising revenue is down. If you see an ad
on the Florilegium that is even a little interesting to you,please click on
it. Even if you don't buy anything, each click brings in a miniscule amount
of money to the Florilegium and helps me keep this site online.

If you are going to Gulf Wars this year, please drop by the Barony of Bryn
Gwlad camp and say hi. I will also be teaching two sessions of my hands-on
pewter casting class and my class on the Florilegium, so you can also find
me on Artisan's Row or in the class tents.

Thanks,

    Stefan

-------

A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past nineteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been

collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail

lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make

this information available to others, I have placed this information

in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an

article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send

it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation

and class handouts will also often work out well.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:

In the BVERAGES sction:

    13thC-Mead-art

 "Mead, using a 13th/14th century English manuscript"

by Master Rhys Terafan Greydragon.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/13thC-Mead-art.html

In the CRAFTS section:

    Mk-Vik-Brooch-art    "Making a Simple Viking Ring Brooch"

by HL HRothgar Thorsson.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/Mk-Vik-Brooch-art.html

In the EDUCAYION section:

    Teaching-SCA-art     "Teaching in the SCA"

by Mistress Alicia Langland.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/EDUCATION/Teaching-SCA-art.html

In the FOOD section:

    Redacting-Rec-art

 "Take a Quayle, and Sle Him - A Beginner's Guide to Redacting Medieval
Recipes"   by Mistress Euriol of Lothian, O.P.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Redacting-Rec-art.html

In the FOOD-BOOKS section:

    Caliphs-Ktchn-rev

 Review by THL Johnnae llyn Lewis of "Annals of the Caliphs' Kitchens".

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/Caliphs-Ktchn-rev.html

    fd-n-Shkspear-msg    Mentions of food in Shakespeare's works.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/fd-n-Shkspear-msg.html

In the FOOD-BY-REGION section:

    fd-Bohemia-msg       Food of medieval Bohemia.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Bohemia-msg.html

    fd-Romania-msg       Food of medieval Romania. References.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Romania-msg.html

In the PENNSIC section:

    State-Dinner-art   How to hold a "State Dinner at Pennsic"

By Dame Alys Katharine, O.L., O.P.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/State-Dinner-art.html

In the PERIOD-THOUGHT section:

    9-Mirors-Rmce-art    "The Nine Mirrors of Romance" by Charles Upton.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERIOD-THOUGHT/9-Mirors-Rmce-art.html

In the SCA-SOCIOLOGY section:

    Aprentces-SCA-art

"Apprentices" by Master Rhys Terafan Greydragon.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-SOCIOLOGY/Aprentces-SCA-art.html

Here are the updated files for this month.

    AS-compet-msg    A&S Competitions.

Example rules and comments on judging them.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/CELEBRATIONS/AS-compet-msg.html

 biscotti-msg         Period biscotti, a twice-baked travel bread.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/biscotti-msg.html

carbonadoes-msg

 Broiling meat on a gridiron previouslyslashed to increase the cooking
speed.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/carbonadoes-msg.html

dates-msg            Period date fruits. Recipes.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-FRUITS/dates-msg.html

demos-msg            SCA demos for education and recruitment.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-EVENT-PLANNING/demos-msg.html

    fasts-msg            Fasts and fastdays. Food restrictions.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/fasts-msg.html

    fd-in-Chaucer-msg    Mentions of food in Chaucer's writings.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/fd-in-Chaucer-msg.html

    fresh-cheeses-msg    Fresh cheeses such as cream cheese and

                            cottage cheese. Non-aged cheeses.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/fresh-cheeses-msg.html

    p-cooks-msg          Comments on specific period cooks.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/p-cooks-msg.html

    teenagers-msg        Period and SCA teenagers. SCA activities.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/teenagers-msg.html

    tourn-ideas-msg      Ideas for SCA tournaments.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/tourn-ideas-msg.html

---

Copyright 2009, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left

unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit

the article into limited publication space is allowed.  The article

introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact

info are retained.

<end>

--------

    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas