[Artemisia] A note of Thanks

Chuck Heisler Jr. conradvz at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 19 17:48:44 CST 2009

Greetings to all,

The ever gracious Thea has a great point.  Volunteering is important.  Its more important than anything else you can do in our society.  I would not discourage anyone from volunteering.  I applaud those who volunteer including those who have volunteered at Estrella War this time.

I have, in fact, frequently volunteered myself both officially and unofficially.  Volunteerism is the life's blood of the SCA

In this case, I find it slightly insincere of folks in charge to FINALLY applaud those who volunteered for the battlefield work when only one Artemisian took part.  I can not name the enumerable times that dozens of Artemisians have slaved away on the battlefield and other places.  And it was never enough.  No matter whether we lived up to our obligations or not.  Now that it can prove the point of those interested that we are not worthy of principle status and only one of us showed up to help on the battlefield.  All those participating are named by name.

Whether this is the disingenous reason or cooincidence, I do not know.  However, any comment by anyone in regard to how LITTLE Artemisia participated at this war is insulting in my opinion to all the people who did and all of us (and we are legion) who have in the past when it WAS NOT EVER GOOD ENOUGH.

Thea States

"But I do not feel that it is helpful to encourage an environment where volunteering is considered a waste of time or less than desirable.  It is a valuable contribution, as are the other endeavors of the Society.  Without any of them, the Society is diminished, and might cease to function.
~Thea"

And she's right.  Completely right.  However, the hypocrisy of being told that its never enough and then in the end being thanked when we do the least we've ever done just strikes me the wrong way.

Am I bitter, perhaps?  Will I go to Estrella again?  Probably not.  Lots of other great events to attend.

An angry Artemisian

CvZ