[Artemisia] Volunteering at War

Kimi Pollett sofithecrabby at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 19 18:15:12 CST 2009

Greetings all,
I had the pleasure this year of once again serving as Artemisia's War Volunteer coordinator. As previously mentioned the list that was posted was a personal 'Thank You' to those who helped set-up the battlefield only. The total hours volunteered are still being tabulated and will take several more weeks before the list is complete.

There are a large number of people from our Kingdom who gave of their time at War, and I feel confident in stating that the number of our people who volunteered far exceeds the number of those who did not.

Artemisia has a glorious reputation for volunteering, we are consistently second only to Atenveld in hours volunteered at War. While it is true there are a few who may approach the process from a 'political' point of view, the people who are actually trying to put on the event are extremely appreciative of the time that we put in.

In a conversation with the War Volunteer Autocrat just prior to returning home on Monday, she offered us a great compliment- "If you put 100 Atenvelder's in a tent with 100 Artemisian's you would have 10 Atenvelder's volunteer and 90 Artemisian's!" She asserted that our help was integral to a successful War.

Our time is recognized and appreciated. In an organization that runs its events entirely by volunteers, when we withhold our time we are in effect only punishing ourselves. Any event you attend is *your* event. Regardless of who the host group is, if you are there then you have an obligation to help out in some way. In order to be successful and keep from burning out good people we all need to pitch in.

Many hands make for light work!

In humble service,
Sofi the Crabby