[Artemisia] A note of Thanks - Volunteering

Rich Melton richmelton01 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 23:20:11 CST 2009

Wow..... talk about dichotomy.

Ever since I first picked up my bow under the SCA banner, I helped at
Estrella. Many wars in a row.

I helped because I knew how hard my brothers and sisters in archery from the
hosting kingdom had to work, and I helped whether I was scheduled to or not.
I helped during my 'time off' the range when wandering by, giving bathroom
breaks to those marshals on the lines. Setup, teardown, scenario creation...
whatever.

I then expanded that in areas that I thought I could help, became a member
of the Estrella War Staff and ran the Privy Post for two years, donating all
the materials, time and equipment to do so... because they (the hosts)
really had better things to do, than worry about a piece of paper on a
outhouse.

Did I do this for recognition? Hell no. Am I saying it now because I want
recognition? Hell no.

I did it because I wanted to. I wanted to help.... my friends... and when
you do it that way, you don't need recognition from anybody but yourself.
But you know your friends are going to give you that "I'm so damn tired...
thank you" look and that is better than anything.

Getting your name on some volunteer list, is like trying to make sure
everybody in church sees you put the 20 in the collection plate.... in my
not so humble opinion.

Godwin