[Artemisia] Embordery Question

S CLEMENGER sclemenger at msn.com
Sat Feb 28 19:22:06 CST 2009

Hi, Annabella.  Depends strongly on the kind of embroidery, and the scale of
the design.  I saw a pretty wide variety at the V&A.  What kind of
embroidery where you thinking of?
As a "fer instance," I'm currently working on a late-16th century Venetian
camicia, doing long vertical stripes of fairly complicated blackwork.  The
stitch count is about 20/inch, and I'm using a single strand of Soie Crystal
needlepoint silk (think sewing thread).  I really like this silk floss, so
for my next project, which will be more blackwork (quelle surprise!), I'm
planning on one strand for the filling patterns, and probably 2 strands for
the outlines (gonna re-create the sleeves from the Pelican Portrait).  A
third project, a little later down the line, is going to be more in the
realm of surface embroidery (from the portrait of Helen Snackenburg, and I'm
sure I just utterly butchered her name, but she's got a partlet and sleeves
embroidered with fairly realistic roses, and I'm going to do the same thing,
but use columbines, as a columbine slipped and leaved is the main charge of
my badge).  I imagine I'll be using 3 or more strands for that, unless I
luck into some japanese silk, which isn't stranded/spun at all.
--Maire