[Artemisia] Fw: Proposed change to Royaltymembership requirements-long

Jackman-Brink, Julia Julia.Jackman-Brink at mso.umt.edu
Tue Jan 6 13:16:21 CST 2009

Greetings;

Far to say, the Midrealm is not the only kingdom where membership issues
with Crowns, Heirs or entrants have occurred. It has also happened in
several others (yes, Artemisia included). Most issues were able to be
solved early on, but membership and the problems with membership, is not
new, but one that is unfortunately one that has become more prevalent on
the Grand Stage. As Thea and Morgan both indicated, the Board of
Directors is actively looking for opinions on the proposal, so please,
drop them a note if you have an opinion.

In Artemisia, because of the way things are currently structured, it's a
major commitment to enter Crown. Should one win, the time (11 months --
5 months sitting as Heirs, 6 months as Crown), the money and travel, and
a host of other things all play a part in that commitment. Considering
that, keeping one's membership current is a pretty minor part in my own
opinion. It's pay to play. If one doesn't happen to win, gee, they don't
have to renew in the coming year. The consequences of letting a
membership lapse while one is the Crown or Heirs, is well, really,
really ugly. But, as with all things, it is how each person looks at the
issue.

Morgan is mistaken in his account of the membership renewals, they do
not overlap, they are added to the end of a person's existing
membership. My own latest renewal is evidence of this. That said, there
can be problems that arise with individuals or payments, and I would
encourage anyone who believes there is a mistake or problem with their
own membership or the length of that membership to contact the SCA
Registry.

Juliana
AKS

Other stuff snipped off....