[Artemisia] Question for everyone re: youth activities

Cadet plurcadets at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 13:22:19 CST 2009

I am new to the area, recently  becoming involved in the SCA again, and I
have no children of my own, but I joined the SCA at a relatively young age
and remember how much I looked forward to some of the youth activities, and
I also remember as a teenager who, when there were no "good" activities for
my age group, would try to pass myself off as older so that I could
participate in some of the activities for the adults (i.e. Brewing
class...)  I think it is very important to have appropriate activities,
workshops, and lessons available for the youth, if we don't we usually end
up with one or more of several possible consiquences. a) they feel left out,
and possibly lose interest, b) they find less constructive ways to fill
their time, c) they get involved in things (brewing, me @ 16) that they
really have no business doing...

I for one am usually willing to help out with youth activities, how ever I
can, even if it's just running for materials, or helping to keep an eye on
the children, and I don't even have any of my own!  You parents who do have
children and aren't willing to help out, or even appreciate what others are
doing for them?  Ought be ashamed.  Think of your children.

Sorry to finish on a somewhat negative note, but honestly I think that the
youth activities are at times MUCH more important than the adult ones, and
those in the SCA should think about the next generation.

Kody