[Artemisia] Question for Kingdom Officers

Allen Hall dukealan at q.com
Sun Jul 19 12:37:46 CDT 2009

An interesting question...

Typically, it is extremely difficult to get someone to bid for a Kingdom Office.  Especially someone who is actually qualified.  When I put in for Earl Marshal, there was NO ONE else who stepped up.  One person had been begged, threatened, coerced, etc, just prior to me putting in.  He was DELIGHTED to be able to back out.

This situation is not unusual, and in fact, may be more typical than not.

If someone is truly interested in a Kingdom level job, they should check with the officer doing it, ask questions (not interrogate them), and volunteer to assist.  In many cases, that Kingdom Officer will be glad for the help...and the chance to train a replacement.

All too often, people step up into an office, because the Crown is their buddy, and they thought it was going to get them something (prestige, power, peerage), and they are really disappointed when they find out the Kingdom Office actually involves WORK.

Nearly all Kingdom Officers have to report monthly.  They have to collect reports from all the local groups in the Kingdom (read that as contacting some local officers every month to even get a report).  Finally, the Kingdom Officer typically has to report to their Society counterpart every quarter.  Now add that the Society Counterpart will be passing down things coming from Corporate, or asking for ideas to feed to Corporate about possible changes, etc, etc, etc.

Kingdom Office warrants are typically 2 years.  It is not unusual for someone to extend a year, or even another 2 years, depending upon the situation.

In my case, I announced in Knight's Circle a little over a year ahead that I would be stepping down in Dec, 2009.  I wanted to give the Knights plenty of time to consider whether they were interested in the job.

The notion of putting out the notice of the warrant expiring to see if anyone has objections is not very realistic.  There will ALWAYS be objections from someone, sometimes realistic, and sometimes petty, or jealousy.  It will come down to who will really DO the job, and do it for the whole time they hold that job.

Some folks think that they are really good and are the right person for the job.  Unfortunately, most of the rest of us wouldn't agree...

Just my 2 cents worth, gathered from many, many years of being an officer or being directly involved with officers.

YIS,  Alan