[Artemisia] Question for Kingdom Officers

morgan wolf morganblaidddu at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 20 02:23:29 CDT 2009

replied to by point-

 ----- Original Message ----

I thank Your Grace for Your time and courtesy in responding, I can only say that the questions posted are in general for all Kingdom Officers, I neither expected nor requested that You be the designated answerer.  If Your Grace feels that this discussion is a waste of Your time, You can drop out of it at any time, that is Your perogative.  If none of the other Kingdom Officers feel like answering, that is their perogative.

> First:  A Knight will be dramatically more effective as a Earl Marshal than a
> non-belt.  This is true not only for Artemisia but the known worlds.  Bitter
> experience, and hurt people have borne this out.  Exactly the same for a Kingdom
> A&S Officer, things will go much better if they are a Laural.  I ain't saying
> it's right, but I'm saying that's the way it is.  Again, I have interest in
> debating this point's "fairness" or not.  It's the reality....deal with it.

That throughly answers the question, that it is indeed an unwritten rule.

> Second:  Frankly, I'm not your errand boy.  If you want to see what the
> governing documents say, have at it.  I can tell you how things have worked over
> multiple kingdoms, over multiple years...and we're in the norm.

I apologize for whatever posting of mine that You felt was asking You to be my "errand boy", that was not my intent.  My intent, as I hope was clear, was to engender discussion of questions that people have asked me in the past, and that I have wondered myself.  Yes, I am quite familiar with what the governing documents say on a variety of things, and know where to look to get the "official" answer to my questions, but as we've already seen the official word and the "real world" don't always mesh, and quite simply my previous experience has been that if I post a quotation of governing documents, the posting and my intent with it are immediately called into question, regardless of the original point.  I had hoped to keep the focus of this on Kingdom Officers' Warrants, but it doesn't look like it will stay that way.

> Third:  If someone has problems with a Kingdom or Local officer, the person with
> the problem should gather up their courage and go talk to the officer about
> those issues.  It's actually part of the grievance process.  Otherwise, I see
> absolutely no value in your suggestion of opening up or soliciting complaints
> against an officer in determining if their warrant should be extended or not.

I absolutely agree that if someone has a major issue with any officer they should talk to that officer, and yes I am aware that it is part of the grievance process, but not everyone actually reads Corpora or any of the other governing documents, so as I said before it **may** reveal a legitimate concern that hasn't been brought forward before, but that is actually neither here nor there- at no point did I recommend that it be done, I simply asked if any Kingdom Officers *were* doing it (please see my first post for reference).

> There are only so many people qualified and willing to become an officer to make
> sure that the rest of the populous can have fun.  If we make things too hard, or
> ornerous our list of people wanting to take all that on will dwindle.  And
> frankly, it's not a real deep list right now.  Don't make Atlas shrug....just a
> suggestion.

I agree, it is a short list, I was of the impression that asking Kingdom Officers to discuss the change-over process in part might encourage more folk to take interest.  Instead I find that apparently only Knights should be Earl Marshal and only a Laurel should be Kingdom Minister of Arts and Sciences, despite what it says in the governing documents. and that my broaching the topic has resulted in reducing the available pool for each office substantially.

I'm sure that I have once again offended a magnitude of people, as per usual.  If I have offended you, follow the correct Greivance Procedure and talk directly to me, please, and leave my Pelicans out of it.  The number of people who complained to them last time and didn't say "boo" to me was absolutely ridiculous.

Morgan