[Artemisia] pets at events

Kim Rule kimrule at cableone.net
Thu Jul 30 23:45:14 CDT 2009

I encourage all pet owners, whether dog, cat, ferret, or fowl, to be
completely honest with themselves about their pets.  Are they protective of
your children or yourselves, or even your temporary territories whilst
camping to the point of even POSSIBLY harming another creature?  Can you
ensure that your hunting dog won't sight someone's pet ferret and decide
it's prey, even though he's nonchalant around cats?  Can you be certain that
you actually do have control of your animal At All Times, no matter how
well-behaved they are normally? Extraordinary circumstances happen every
day.  Your pet could get wrapped up in them either by his own protective
nature that may spring out at any unforeseen moment, or by another pet who
was not as carefully watched.  Think everything through. See all the
possibilities.  Bringing an animal to an event is always a great
responsibility because of the inherent risk involved.  Until the day when we
can tell our pets "No,
 really, act like me at the event, don't attack anyone who attacks me with a
sword cuz I think it's fun, and run and hide in the pavillion silently until
I return if I leave you," and your pet stands up, looks intelligently in
your eyes and says "Sure thing m'Lady!  I've got a book on the various
dossiers of Da Vinci I was planning to peruse in your absence anyway.  Oh,
and I'll just make the bed while you're gone and fix you a light lunch, if
that's all right with you?"...until that day happens, do not believe for one
moment that your perfect and precious little angel pet is entirely under
your control.

Yes!  And this is exactly why my husband and I don't take our lab to events!
At home he's perfectly reasonable...until someone walks by the yard, and
then he runs outside and does  his best Kujo impression!  He has never
bitten anyone, but will actually rattle the metal fencing that is attached
to the wooden privacy fence, and scare the daylights out of whoever walks
by.  I don't want to see this happen at an event...so the dog stays
home...maybe someday he will learn, but until then, he gets a puppy sitter!

Lady Una