[Artemisia] Artemisia Digest, Vol 69, Issue 8

Willa Rose Yaas at dreamriverranch.org
Thu Jun 4 10:50:41 CDT 2009

Good idea Marcello. Two things to add:

1 This was in place before the turn of the century ( literally ) under
my supervision as the Kingdom Minister of the Royal Stables. My vision
for the Royal Stables was to include hounds and hawks with the horses
within its organization. We had a Regent for each division. We even had
a list of collegium classes to advance through including camping with
your hounds. This system of training dog owners and dogs to obedience
was promoted to 1st time campers with pets. They showed up and had to
attend an introductory class on acceptable camping practices. Upon
completion, they were given a ribbon to tie onto their pets collar,
which notified anyone concerned that the pet in question had passed the
test. Then there were levels of achievement to participate in for
awarding the pet more permanent status earning other visible means of
identification and eventually an Award of Paws. The goal was to assure
event stewards that owners w/pets could be allowed on site if they were
trained and their pets passed the test, and to teach the historical use
of hunting hounds as well. Back then there was an interest in doing
this. Perhaps it didn't draw enough interest for folks to keep it going.
I'm not sure what has happened to the teaching material at kingdom
level, but if anyone is interested, I still have it all on file and
would love to share it so it can be revived or improved upon.

2. It was determined at corporate level a few years back that pet
activities and their safety do NOT fall under marshallate management,
but that there could be a representative per kingdom to oversee
legal/modern pet activity. Historical research and display on hunting,
etc. falls under A&S. The bottom line is that your idea can be managed
per kingdom rules/regs, but is not something that needs to be reported
to a society level officer, because there is none. Hope that makes sense.

In all, I'd love to see it come back. Hounds were a big part of daily
life then as is now, and they can be trained/retrained as long as the
trainer gets the help he/she needs.

Yaasamiin
Society Equestrian Officer