[Artemisia] Pets question

Arthen ap Rhun arthen_ap_rhun at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 4 12:23:26 CDT 2009

I don't think this is an issue of Responsible Pet Owners. As to the idea of
Pet Authorizations and Pet Marshals it is simply... No, I am not even going
to go there. This is merely the requirement\request of the owner\host of the
event site that we are using. As SCAidian's we have no problem with (well
most of us anyways) following the rules that we live by in the Dream. What
makes this site any different than other sites where we are asked to abide
by specific rules? We have all been to sites where we have been asked not to
bring alcohol, pick up our trash, not have a fire, not bring pets, not shoot
archery, etc. These requests are made by the hosting entity that we are
paying our funds to for the site for various reasons. These rules are
honored (that is one of the big things the SCA is about I have been told)
and followed by the vast majority of the SCAidian's in attendance with very
little problem and complaint. We may not agree with or like the rules at
times, but we deal with them, go to the event and have a great time.

Should the Uprising site be treated any differently because the owner of the
site is a SCAidian? I do not think it should be. We need to be grateful that
we have a permanent site of this quality for what is possibly the largest
event in the Kingdom. Given the choice of bringing a pet, having a fire,
drinking a beer (which I do not), not shooting archery or having a permanent
site with permanent structures, battlefields, ranges, chapels, etc., I am
going to choose the permanent site and the wishes of the owner every time.

To quibble over a fire, a beer, a pet or anything of that nature and to
attempt to bring subtle pressure onto one of our own is simply beneath us.

Arthen

Arthen ap Rhun
Archery Captain - Gryphon's Lair
Deputy Archer General - Kingdom of Artemisia
9th Archery Champion - Kingdom of Artemisia