[Artemisia] flu swine or not flu swine, that is the question

Valerie Scarbrough vscarbrough at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 27 14:37:40 CDT 2009

Greetings to Artemisia,

It was so good to see many of you at Uprising.

I know a lot of this has been gone over before, but I just have to put my 2c in.

Working in a pediatrics clinic I'm around many children with cases of H1N1 every day right now.

In at least 90% of the cases, the first indicator is a sudden high fever - at least 101.9 degrees.

Following shortly after are body aches, cough, congestion, general malaise and in quite a few cases sore throats, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.  A few patients have also described tingling in their limbs.

Good news is that in quite a few kids we've seen, their symptoms are not severe and they seem to be doing fine.  We haven't had to hospitalize any patients that I know of.

I know it may be different in other areas.

Here is just a little advice I think I can give with confidence:

If you think you have the flu, try to be seen within 6-12 hours of onset.  If seen to late, then Tamiflu can do nothing for you and you can only be treated symptomatically.  Many providers will see one member of the family and if they are diagnosed, will prescribe for the whole family.

Children from the age of 1yr. and up can take Tamiflu.

Tamiflu is now in shorter supply, so know that some pharmacies won't have it any more.  Call before you go to pick up your prescription.

Most of all, keep your hands washed, surfaces wiped down and try not to worry overmuch.

It's not at all a fun illness, but it's not as bad as some people have been led to believe.

I wish you all health and happiness.  Now back to your regularly scheduled list :)

Bethany of Windermere OL