[Artemisia] Collegium Youth Track -- Thank You!

BECKY LEISHMAN leishman10 at msn.com
Wed Nov 11 16:43:18 CST 2009

I agree... everyone that pulled this entire Collegium rocks... I only wish that we could have made it (sighhh).

Regarding the 'why' participation might not be what you had hoped for:

My observations are and have always been that the youth program participation is primarily kids 13 and under... in other words tweens and chilluns.  This is mostly because if this age group gets they get dragged to an event in the first place, they aren't usually old enough to participate in anything else.  This is why in the past, our youth officer's efforts have been primarily targeting this age range.

Also, when kids get up into the teens, they often have other activities that prohibit them from even participating in SCA stuff.. i.e. sports, jobs, etc... or, they are old enough that they can participate in adult classes, etc... so they tend not to do 'youth' activities.

Something to consider in the future:  Teens teaching teens.  Find some teens who know a lot of stuff really well.. have them serve as the class instructor... see if that will boost participation. Always of course have adults present to cover the 2 deep leadership criteria.

Are you actually having your youth officers keep track of their participating kids and how old they are?  This would help you define your target population so that you don't have folks spinning their wheels on stuff that is going to get little to no participation.  Just a thought. Sounds like you might be using the event sign in to try to identify this.. that will only work if the age of the youth is listed. And for the record... 1 child particpating is 'enough' to make the effort worth while.. That 1 will realize what a good time they had, and next time bring some of their friends, and so on and so on and eventually the program grows and flourishes.

But hey... one has to admire your efforts and your energy level.

Bethoc

Who gets tired just watching you