[Artemisia] Word for scribes from the Crown and the Royal Heirs

Jean-Richard deHolloway armorbug1 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 17 16:15:35 CST 2009

On November 15th Duchess Caryn von Katzenberg, OL, OP wrote:

"I have been advised by Their Majesties and Their Heirs, and it is
 confirmed also by Sable Plume Pursuivant that They will not accept or
 present any scrolls that are colored with markers, crayons, or any
 material but paint. I have removed a number of blanks that were done in
 this manner from the royal scroll case. I will have these with me at
events if anyone would like to retrieve them."

As an artist I am appalled by this.  I can understand the desire for a
heightened level of artistry in the approach of the medieval style, but,
 in all seriousness, and I hope that I don't speak just for myself and
 that other artists feel the same, but who are you to dictate the creative
 process?  As artists, we don't tell the fighting community how they
 should construct their armor.  We don't tell the servants amongst us that
 their servitude must fit between slot 'A' and slot 'B'.   How many
would-be scribes out there will now never take up the noble pursuit of
 LEARNING ART because it MUST be done in such-and-such a way?  A damned
sight less than before.  I can hear the response now, "We're not saying
you can't do it with markers, you just can't do it for court!"

If it had not been for Duke Brian approaching me with news that a dear
 friend was going to be receiving an award and would I please do the
 scroll...well, if it had had to be painted, I would never have done it.  But he accepted that creativity comes in all forms and welcomed and presented
a scroll in court that was done in markers and colored pencils...and thus
 began a LEARNING process that moves forward till this day.   For this
 weekend I was working on a scroll for a friend's elevation...now I have
 to stop, because in my yearning to please the creative process I used
 markers, pencils, and even a couple drops of fingernail polish in amongst
 the paint.

What's next?  If you're going to be called up in court, you must be
 wearing clothing made in a period way in a period style with period
materials?  Or for Crown Tourney will the fighters need to wear armor made
 in a period way in a period style with period materials?
Yes, we'd all like to see this happen...but to the exclusion of all other
forms of creativity that might be expressed by the individual?  Don't
touch the art, don't hinder the artists, because without artists, your
 Society is nothing more that jocks with sticks.  Imagine if the Doge had said, "Mike, you're good and all, but I think you should do it this way..."

In Service to the Dreamers,

HL Jean-Richard deHolloway
Seneschal, Gryphon's Lair
A&S Champion, Gryphon's Lair