[Artemisia] Word for scribes from the Crown and the Royal He irs

Sondra Gibson sgibson at edulog.com
Tue Nov 17 16:41:59 CST 2009

> -----Original Message-----
> Subject: [Artemisia] Word for scribes from the Crown and the
> Royal Heirs

Then HL Jean-Richard deHolloway wrote:

> As an artist I am appalled by this.  I can understand the
> desire for a
> heightened level of artistry in the approach of the medieval
> style, but,
>  in all seriousness, and I hope that I don't speak just for myself and
>  that other artists feel the same, but who are you to dictate
> the creative  process?
>
> HL Jean-Richard deHolloway
> Seneschal, Gryphon's Lair
> A&S Champion, Gryphon's Lair
> Archery Champion, Gryphon's Lair

Greetings,

I don't think the Crown or the Royal Heirs are at all out of line in
requesting that the scrolls that are created for *them* to present be
painted.  First as Crown of Artemisia that's their right.  They did not say
that all scrolls within the Kingdom meet these guidelines - just the ones
for the awards that they give.

Next, we are trying to re-create medieval works.  While it is not possible
for everyone to make their own paints, or use egg tempera, it should be
possible to work on learning some of the techniques that a medieval artist
might have used.  This would rule out crayons and markers and colored
pencils.

Another thing to consider is that many markers fade in a matter of months.
It would be sad for someone to hang a scroll on their wall only to have a
bleached out piece of paper in less than a year.

I believe that anyone who wishes to take up calligraphy and illumination
should be able to find basic beginner tools for little cost.  (opaque
watercolors are pretty readily available)  If nothing else inquiring in
one's area is likely to find someone who can suggest sources or perhaps even
lend materials.

The "creative process" is all well and good, but within the SCA I believe
there are things that are appropriate and things that are not.  IMO, crayons
and the like definitely fall into the 'are not' category.  (blatantly
modern)  We are a society that exists to attempt to re-create a previous
time.  Surely an award scroll for someone who has, in some way, excelled at
that attempt should be an attempt at re-creation in itself.

Baroness Gefjon Hrafnardottir, OL, OP