[Artemisia] Scroll Discussion

Jackman-Brink, Julia Julia.Jackman-Brink at mso.umt.edu
Fri Nov 20 09:38:04 CST 2009

HE Morgan d'Antioche has done quite a bit with period pigments, I
believe HE Therasia has as well. There have been quite a few scrolls on
actual vellum too. Not sure if there are photos of the works, but the
pieces are certainly still around. There are examples from other
Kingdoms out there too.

In modern times, while we would like to use period source material, as
Tangl said, it's all about toxicity. Real pigments are dangerous, and
while the medieval scribe probably didn't know the dangers of what they
were using, we have the knowledge that exposure to things like white
lead can kill you. I too have a box of ground period pigments, all in
their nice glass tubes, but have not used them because I don't have the
arable workspace and such. If anyone wants to see them, I can haul them
out sometime. Maybe a future Collegia.

I also want to add that I think the use of "gemstone" in this context is
a little misleading. Mineralogy and source materials for pigment is a
huge subject and pigments can come from a lot of various sources and
various mineral families, but "jewelry-grade" minerals were probably not
being ground up for paint. It's probably the same source rock, but the
quality is very different. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Juliana