[Artemisia] Drum and Dance Circle at Fighter Practice

Bruce Padget bapadget at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 18:52:40 CDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 4:27 PM, Zafirah Tahreer Bint Al Riyah
<zemlar at yahoo.com> wrote:
> CALLING ALL MIDDLE EASTERN DRUMMERS AND DANCERS!!!
>
> Lady Ashe'el and I would like to invite anyone in the greater Salt Lake Area (including those in Ogden, Utah & Davis Counties) who is interested in learning or teaching middle eastern drumming and/or dance to join us at Loch Salann Fighter Practice tomorrow, Wednesday October 7th.  We would like to hold a coordination meeting to determine who is interested in joining us for drumming and dancing classes and how much time everyone has to commit, and how many times a month we would like to meet.
>
> Loch Salann Fighter Practice moves indoors this week.  The location is now Mt. Jordan Middle School located at 9360 South 300 East in Sandy.  If you are not familiar with the location, take your best rout to 9400 South and 300 East.  The School is located on the north west corner.  The cafeteria and gym access are both on the east side of the building.  We are not yet sure where we will be meeting so check both of the northern most entrances.
>
> Any questions please feel free to contact Ashe'el or me at ashe_el at yahoo dot com or zemlar at yahoo dot com.
>
> We look forward to your participation.
>
> Cheers!
> Lady Zafirah Tahreer Bint Al Riyah
> Chronicler, Barony of Loch Salann  MKA: Erika Andrach

I'm too far away to be of any help tomorrow.  But I hope to be up for
Twelfth Night, and several days both before and after.  I'm on a bit
of a crusade to get SCA folks frame drumming -- have tar, bendir, riq
and daf, will travel.  (Also have tammora and tamburello, but those
are for my Italian side.)

For those not familiar, the instruments I'm talking about:

Tar:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4lFmkxGvUc&feature=related
Riq:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwox0T3613Y&feature=related
Daf:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1NufA0WgMQ
Tammora:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8TToOUBcZE
Tamburello:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9eumfaFjhw&feature=related
(sorry, I couldn't find a decent clip of traditional bendir)

And I live <10 miles from the factory outlet for Remo drums, so think
of me as you frame drum connection.

Regards,
Niccolo
bapadget at gmail.com